About Covid Act Now
Covid Act Now was launched on March 20. Since then, the model has reached over 10-million Americans, was cited by many counties and states in their decisions to shut down, and has been referenced by Dr. Birx in a White House press briefing. We provide data directly to 10+ governors and state epidemiologists across the country, to the Department of Defense, and to numerous businesses, healthcare groups, and other entities.
Covid Act Now is run by a multidisciplinary team with 40 full time employees including Silicon Valley engineers and data scientists, Georgetown epidemiologists, Grand Rounds modelers, and other political and medical experts. We are also part of a consortium of institutions convened by Harvard’s Global Health Institute and the Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics to set standards for evaluating COVID risk.
The goal of Covid Act Now is to supply disease intelligence to policymakers and the public to help them make the most informed, best possible decisions to stop COVID, save lives, and help the world return safely to a post-pandemic normal.
About The Position
The writer will work with a team to strategize and create content for our website and CAN’s public audience. They will write researched pieces to educate the public about COVID, advocate for data-driven policies, explain CAN’s work, and flesh out technical subjects for the general public. They have an attention to detail, a flair for words, and the ability to work independently.
- Help write researched/journalistic pieces for CAN on a fairly regular basis. Blog posts provide educational material and memorialize improvements to the model. We are also hoping to add more researched/journalistic pieces that advocate for data driven policies indicated by our models. These projects may also involve conducting scientific literature reviews.
- Help edit our Daily Download Newsletter, which goes out to 100k+ email recipients, including every state legislator in the United States.
- Edit writing across the organization to make sure all writing is up to our standards of both clarity and panache.
- Work with a team to set and adjust style guidelines for the organization.
- Potentially help create scripts for video content.
- Potentially help write website copy.
- Based on interest and availability, become involved in other projects across CAN.
- Preferred: experience in writing, journalism, research, science, or public health
- Required: excellent writer, attention to detail, interest in research, interest in public health, and a passion for explaining complicated subjects in a clear and lively way.
Expectations and Position
The volunteer position is minimum 10 hours a week, maximum as many as you’d like!
The writer must be able to think critically and creatively, collaborate with a team, conduct research, and write engaging material (sometimes with a quick turnaround time).
The writer must be able to commit to working at least through the end of October
The writer must be able to start immediately.
The project is very fast moving. A bit frenetic. Very startup-y.
The writer will report to Anna Blech. The writer will also talk and work closely with those across the organization, including the partnerships team, the media team, and the modeling team. They will help create educational material and translate CAN’s work to government partners and the public.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resumé, and one or two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. We prefer writing samples that showcase a lively writing style, and are journalistic or have an audience of the general public.